Sunday, March 25, 2012

It's A Small World

This past week I was honored to host a casual dinner at my home for some important staff from my alma mater, the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point. The chancellor and his wife, the vice chancellor and her husband, and the alumni director were in Phoenix to attend a spring training baseball game, an event for Arizona "Pointer" alumni.

Back in the day, my family lived in a house right across the street from the campus during most of my school years, beginning with seventh grade, while my dad was on the faculty. After I became a Delta Zeta, our home was often a hangout for dorm sisters who needed a place to cook or whatever.

In the course of conversation at the dinner table, the alumni director, who is about half my age, said she lived at 1101 for a year. I almost fell off my chair, because that was OUR family home! She was in what was my parents' bedroom, right next to mine. We got quite a laugh about this amazing coincidence, and we plan to try to check out the house at next month's scholarship awards ceremony. I was happy to learn my impending trip to Wisconsin is scheduled for the same week. I haven't been able to attend for several years, and I like our family to be represented for the award in my dad's name.

Phoenix DZ alum Debby Willey, who also is a Point alum, was at last week's dinner, so she can attest to what happened. I am still amazed!

-Ann Santos