Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sister of the Week

"I have a fear of heights and airplanes," says Christina Gonsalves (Pi Zeta, ASU), "but I just agreed to go sky-diving, and I am freaking out!" This DZ alum is having her share of excitement this fall, as she also is vying for the Miss Arizona title, representing Paradise Valley. Christina knows the ropes, after finishing second runner-up in a previous try, on behalf of Sierra Vista.
"Miss Arizona was a great experience for me," she says. "It really taught me a lot about myself -- what I am comfortable with, what I need to improve on. I am generally a very outgoing person, but getting on stage in a bikini can be very intimidating! It really taught me to get out of my comfort zone and go for it!"
Born in Germany, Christina moved to the Valley when she was just 2 years old. She graduated from ASU in May 2007 with a degree in supply chain management from the WP Carey School of Business and currently works in accounting for the Fiesta Bowl.
While she was in school, Christina found being a Pi Zeta founder and meeting some incredible people were highlights. To balance all the sorority activities and her studies, she had to be organized and properly manage her time. "Making sure you have your priorities straight" is vital, she says.
"Belonging to a sorority offered the exposure of meeting people from various backgrounds and cultures and having to understand them," Christina says. "In life and in the workplace, you come across people you have to work with that could be very different from you, so it's important to be able to get along with as many as possible and be open minded."
Christina lists as special interests or hobbies community involvement, volunteer work, movies, shopping, traveling, hanging out with her dog, family, friends, and fitness. She will keep us posted about the upcoming Miss Arizona contest in November so we can support her en masse!