Thursday, September 25, 2008

Greetings from Sam Gustafson

I am well into my first semester of graduate school for Audiology at ASU and so far am loving the program. There are a total of 9 first-year students, so my classes are very small. This semester I have 2 full days of classes as well as a few hours of clinical observation and an afternoon of teaching an Aural Rehabilitation workshop for members of the community. I am thoroughly enjoying all my classes and am enjoying the change of pace. It is so refreshing to finally be taking classes that all actually pertain to my field.
After submitting my research article to a journal for publication this summer, I recently received my submission review and will be making the necessary revisions and resubmitting within the next few months. We are in the process of developing ASU's National Association for Future Doctors of Audiology (NAFDA). I was elected to be this year's president. This club first registered on campus last year and we have exciting plans to build up our rapport with the campus and the community within this next year. [On top of all of this] I am working part-time as a student services assistant in a program called "Success Coaching" which pairs trained-student coaches with incoming freshman to help ease the transition to university life. This one-of-a-kind program is off to a great start and we are receiving a lot of positive feedback. The best part of my job is that it comes with tuition benefits! I am really enjoying my new job so far and love working on-campus!
I have a jam-packed schedule but I love it! I was born to be busy and wouldn't change any part of my "new life." Anyway that's about it for me. Have a great week!
Sam Gustafson, Pi Zeta
Excerpts taken from an email sent to Ann Santos from Sam Gustafson.